"FUIMUS - We Have Been"

"FUIMUS - We Have Been!" motto of Clan Bruce


All material on SHIMMERCASTDREAMS copyright of Marie Bruce and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.


Wednesday, 28 June 2017

ONCE UPON A DREAM; Rebel Heart

Rebellion can be the beginning of freedom

Mine is a rebel heart. I have always had a bit of a rebellious streak within me.  It didn't emerge until quite late though - I was never a rebellious child or a rebellious teenager.  In fact, I was a pretty good kid and my mother tells me that I never really caused her too many problems.  So I am not typically rebellious. 

My rebellious streak came to the fore in my late teens and early twenties - I learnt that unless you make a stand, people will take advantage and pull the wool over your eyes.  So I made sure my stance was strong, and sometimes forceful.  I let people know that I am not one to be messed with. I can take care of myself... I don't need babysitting. 

Being a Bruce I have a natural tendency towards rebellion anyway. Any Scot will tell you that a Bruce can always rouse the rebel heart, not only in herself, but in others too, and I do encourage people to stand up for themselves if they are being treated unfairly. 

Personally I do not regard rebellion as a bad thing.  It depends how it's used. The rebel spirit is just as important as the warrior spirit and the two frequently go hand in hand together.   I would go further and say that the rebel spirit is vital to facilitate positive change. Without the rebel spirit, abusers would never be challenged, dictators would never be toppled and corrupt governments and organisations would continue to rule supreme.  In such situations we need rebellion to effect positive change, for it is the catalyst to freedom.  Yes, rebellion can be messy and sacrifices will have to be made - but on the other side of rebellion lies peace and freedom, so it is a battle worth fighting.   

I am proud of my rebel heart.  It has got me through some tough times and I have no intention of dousing its light.  And after four years of psychotherapy training, wherein I have been repeatedly told that my rebellious streak is something 'to be addressed' and attempts have been made to remould me into a softer image,  I am most proud of the fact that my rebel heart still beats as strongly as it ever did.  I haven't been changed by the training - I am still strong, still outspoken, still rebellious and still bolshie.  Even that very word - bolshie - comes from the heart of rebellion and the Bolshevik Revolution.  It is a word that fellow classmates have often used to describe me and I take it as a compliment. 

I am not a rebel without a cause, but I do use my strength to stand up for those who might not feel able to stand up for themselves. In the past I have stood against drug dealers, wife-beaters, animal cruelty and paedophiles - and I would do so again, without hesitation.  If I see something amiss, I'm going to speak up and challenge it.  If I see someone in trouble, I'm going to do what I can to help. If people don't like me for it, that's just a bit too bad.  If they gather together in a personal vendetta against me - they'll soon be left with egg on their faces, wishing they'd picked an easier target! Because I am a Bruce right through to the marrow of my bones. The battle is in my blood and I always win.  

But for my friends and loved ones, if we're on the same side, you can always count on me. If you feel that you can't fight anymore, I will fight for you.  If you are lost and don't know which way to turn, I'll help you figure out your next move.  I'm good at strategy and can come up with a viable battle plan, knocking down targets along the way.  I don't look for trouble, but I don't run either, so if it shows up - I'll show it the door and send it homeward to think again, no matter who it is. Because I dance to the beat of my own Rebel Heart and in the Celtic sense, that is no bad thing...it is something to be honoured, celebrated and respected. 
  
The Corrs - Rebel Heart


No comments:

Post a Comment